Adobe InDesign (Windows)

Adobe InDesign (Windows only) Discussions Forum. Adobe InDesign is a desktop publishing (DTP) software application produced by Adobe Systems which can be used to create posters, flyers, and brochures. 

Keywords Adobe, InDesign, Windows, Mirror, Paragraph, Style, Indentation

Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Goto page 1, 2  Next
   Adobe InDesign (Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe InDesign (Windows)

AuthorMessage
Jeff_Gage (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

I want 2" margins on the outside of the spread and 1" on the inside. I know there's an easy way to do this while setting up the page margins, but here's the catch. I want some of my text to start 1" from the outside and 2" from the inside. Here's a txt representation of what I want the final page to look like.

Quote:
...............|................|
.....xxxxxxx...|...xxxxxxx......|
.....xxxxxxx...|......xxxxxxx...|
..xxxxxxx......|...xxxxxxx......|
...............|................|
----------------------------------

Is this even possible in InDesign CS3 on Windows? The Indents and Spacing panel of Paragraph Style Options only allows you to control the Right and Left Indents. I need Inside and Outside Indent control.
Peter_Spier (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Does text need to flow from frame to frame so that a paragraph might be split between frames that have different indents? That would be a fairly big problem, I think.

If not, you ought to be able to set up paragraph styles to accommodate the various left/right indent cases and use object styles to apply them to the frames.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Hmm. I've now gotten three different renderings of the original post, so I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to look like, but in the last one it looks like you want to mix styles in the same frames.

My gut says this can't be automated reliably due to the potential for text reflow screwing things up.

Out of curiosity, why is this desirable/necessary?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

If I understand you correctly, yes I need the text to flow from frame to frame and have the indents applied correctly depending on which side of the spread it appears on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Didn't see your last question. People will be taking notes on the outside margin, but sometimes I want to interupt this notes space with commentary on the point of the text.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

If possible at all, I think this would need to be scripted, so you should ask in the scripting forum. But as I said, what do you do with a paragraph that crosses from one page to the next? It would need to be artificially broken which would really mess up any attempt at editing.

Are the align towards and away from spine options any help? You can't control the indent in the same way, I don't believe.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Anchored objects is another possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

I don't want to have to create separate text boxes for each of these sections. We'd be talking literally hundreds of text boxes. I'm experimenting with the Toward and Away alignment. Works well with the callouts, but not the main body of the text. I wish there were a way to set negative indents.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

I wish there were a way to set negative indents.

Make the margins smaller and set larger indents for the main styles. It works out to be the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Scratch that, it doesn't work well with the call out text. I still have to set the Left or Right indent which always results on a margin on the same side of the page without regard for the spread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

I guess what I want just can't be done conventionally. I would have sworn I've seen books formatted this way and just assumed that they had been done with the power of InDesign. I know it can't be done in Quark either.

I guess my readers will just have to take notes up against the spine.
Kenneth_Benson (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Jeff_Gage (AT) adobeforums (DOT) com wrote:

Quote:
had been done with the power of InDesign. I know it can't be done in
Quark either.

The DTP world is much bigger than just Quark and Indesign. Corel Ventura
allows you to set different paragraph indents for left and right pages.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

This might be a Framemaker or Ventura feature.

If the shifting won't affect the text flow (i.e. the width of the paragraphs would not change so the overall length of the book would stay the same) I think you might be able to script this, and wait until the final editing has been completed to run the script. You really should post this on the scripting forum.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

Maybe that's what's confusing me. In a past life I used FrameMaker. That must be where I saw the feature.

I'll try posting in the Script forum, but I'm leary of doing anything that sophisticated. I'm trying to make a template for very novice users. That will just scare them away. It needs to be completely automatic or it won't be applied consistently.
Dave_Saunders (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror Paragraph Style Indentation

The problems with any script-based solution are two-fold:

1. You'd have to remember to run the script to get the paragraphs adjusted while you are working. There is no way to automatically trigger a script on what I'd call layout-events -- you can auto trigger one on save or print or close.

2. A paragraph that spans a page boundary is going to be one way or the other, it won't be able to change horses mid stream.

Dave
   Adobe InDesign (Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe InDesign (Windows)All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2